Introduction (Scientific Computing)
Scientific Computing (SC) is a broad, multidisciplinary area that encompasses mathematics, computer science, and applications in science and engineering. SC makes use of the techniques of applied mathematics and computer science for the solution of scientific and engineering problems. Therefore, SC is nowadays regarded as a "third pillar" of science, along with theory and experiment in the advancement of scientific knowledge and engineering practice.
The graduate program in SC is designed according to the multidisciplinary nature of SC, including the mathematical and algorithmic foundations underlying numerical simulation. The coursework ranges from foundation mathematics and fundamental numerical algorithms to such practical topics in fluid mechanics, PDE-constrained optimization, finite element methods, statistical learning, dynamical systems, and computational finance. The SC program aims to produce highly skilled scientist capable of applying numerical methods and critical evaluation of their results to their field in science and engineering. It brings together best practice in computing with cutting edge science and fills in the computational gap in the traditional mathematical, science, and engineering programs.
- To educate graduates from different disciplines with the aim to develop and apply their skills to the solution of real life problems from science, engineering, industry;
- To develop and maintain collaboration with scientist elsewhere by building a comprehensive and international research platform, to support academic and technological exchange and advancement;
- To conduct fundamental and frontier research with advanced computational approaches, thereby talents worldwide and train highly qualified research personal, to support scientific development in Turkey.
- MSc with Thesis in Scientific Computing
- MSc without Thesis in Scientific Computing
- PhD in Scientific Computing
- Integrated PhD in Scientific Computing
University graduates of any discipline, who are willing to acquire expertise in Scientific Computing and have strong interest to combine skills in applied mathematics, computer programming, and scientific and engineering applications, are natural candidates for the program. Admission procedure will be implemented according to the Rules and Regulations concerning Graduate Studies of Middle East Technical University. Selection of the candidates for the programs is generally based on the applicants’ scores in
- Graduate Education Examination (ALES/GRE),
- English Proficiency Exam (METE-EPE/TOEFL/IELTS),
- Graduation CGPA (BS and/or MSc),
- Interview by the Scientific Computing Admission Committee.
It is strongly suggested that applicants should take the opportunity to contact to the faculty (or affiliated faculty) members for their opinions on possible research topics and recommendations. Especially, the PhD candidates (applicants) are advised to submit a letter of recommendation of a faculty (or affiliated faculty) member together with a thoroughly specified letter of intention.