IAM698 - Research Methods and Ethics
Instructor(s): Ömür Uğur / Sevtap Kestel
Prerequisites: Consent of Instructor(s)
Course Catalogue Description
This course is a fundamental course for any kind of graduate program since its focus is on the scientific research methods. It provides an introduction to the research design as well as ethical issues in scientific research. More specifically, the course provides students with an integrated framework for doing research. Students will gain methodological skills which will assist them in applying to the research process, such as defining the research questions, design and define the research methods, survey design, data inquiries. In this way, the students learn to manage their thesis writing process independently, writing their own research paper. The role of ethics in research, ethical issues in conducting research will be emphasized to assure ethical aspects in scientific research.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- To identify the major approaches to educational research and related models for planning, analyzing, implementing and critiquing research;
- To understand the essential characteristics of basic research methods and their applications to research questions;
- To provide the knowledge and skills necessary to conduct research and to apply these skills in the development of a search proposal that investigates a question of personal interest;
- To be cautious and respectful to the other studies done in the literature.
Course Learning Outcomes
Tentative (Weekly) Outline
- Week 1: Introduction and nature of research
- Week 2: Principles of scientific inquiry
- Week 3: Conducting research: Research questions
- Week 4: Conducting research: Research design and methodology
- Week 5: Literature survey in research process
- Week 6-8: Research methods: Quantitative and qualitative, Survey research, Data collection and processing
- Week 9: Data use policy and ethics
- Week 10: Writing a research article: Strategizing, Structure and contents
- Week 11-13: Ethical Issues: Research, science, scientific evaluation, collaboration
- Week 14: Paper Submission, handling reviews and revisions
- Week 15: Term Project presentations
- Recker, J., Scientific Research in Information Systems: A Beginner’s Guide, Springer, 2013.
- Fraenkel, J.R. & Wallen, N.E., Hyun, H.H. (2012). How to design and evaluate research in education.(8th Ed.) McGraw-Hill Publishing Company. (International Edition).
- Creswell, J. W. (2012). Educational Research. Planning, Conducting, and Evaluating Quantitative & Qualitative Research. (4th Ed.). Pearson International Education
- Yüksek Öğrenim Kurumları Etik Davranış İlkeleri, http://kurul.odu.edu.tr/files/akademik-etik-ilkeler.pdf
- American Mathematical Society, http://www.ams.org/about-us/governance/policy-statements/sec-ethics
Supplementary Materials and Resources
- Christensen, L. B. (2001). Experimental Methodology. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Strauss, A. & Corbin, J. (1990). Basics of qualitative research: grounded theory, procedures and techniques. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
More Info on METU CatalogueBack